Rationale: By creating a Student of the Month Program, Shore Regional celebrates individual achievement by sustaining a culture of learning that not only values academic success, but elevates awareness of student contributions to the Shore community at large. The program is designed so that ANY STUDENT in eleventh or twelfth grade, regardless of academic ability, can receive the award. However, students who are nominated should prove they value their education by exhibiting academic responsibility and curiosity. They are also expected to demonstrate excellent behavior in and out of the classroom, which includes being respectful to both teachers and peers.
Criteria for nomination: A Shore Regional teacher, administrator or guidance counselor may nominate any junior or senior for Student of the Month by filling out a google form each month. Teachers will select a ‘primary’ reason from the criteria listed below for their nomination and will also submit a written explanation supporting this reason. They will also have the opportunity to submit additional criteria to support their nomination. Despite the title ‘Student the Month’, student contributions for consideration are not limited to a particular start and end date (such as November only, etc.).
Criteria for nominating a student are:
- Significant progress in the classroom
- Marked improvement in grades
- Outstanding grades
- Notable consideration towards others
- Outstanding attitude/disposition
- Community involvement/service
- Personal development
- Exemplary character
- Individual achievement
- An e-mail is sent out to the faculty and administration asking them to nominate students to be considered for the Student of the Month award. This will be done at the end of the each month via Google Forms.
- A committee made up of faculty members will be convene roughly two days prior to the announcement
- The committee will select one male and one female student from the nominees. ONLY JUNIORS AND SENIORS ARE ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE THE AWARD.
- SOTM award recipients will be announced by the principal via loudspeaker on the first Thursday of the following month (or thereabouts).
- SOTM recipients will be celebrated during the following month after the announcement (ex. throughout the month of October, “September SOTM” will be celebrated)
- Students will be recognized in the following ways:
- Certificate of Commendation from Administration
- Names posted on the Route 36 marquee
- Designated parking spots right outside main entrance
- Names and bios posted on the school website
- Names and bios featured in the school and community newspapers
- Photographs displayed in front lobby and main office
- Honored at the June Board of Education meeting during a public session
- Once selected by the SOTM committee, the name of the students will be passed onto administration for a final approval. Administration may reject the committee’s selection because of disciplinary issues, attendance concerns, etc. In this case, the committee will consider another candidate.
- The teachers of each student selected will be contacted via e-mail or in person to see if the students are academically responsible and free of behavioral issues in that particular class.
- Students who are selected as SOTM will not be able to earn the award again.
- Nominations DO carry over from month to month and re-nominations are welcome.
- SOTM can be awarded only to Juniors and Seniors.
- Only those who win the award will be recognized; other nominees will not be disclosed outside the nomination committee