Name: Nina Areyan
Role Model: As both a powerful woman and incredible artist, Lady Gaga has been a role model of mine since I was younger. Her talent and creative vision inspires me and makes me believe that anything is possible. She has spoken of bravery and hard work being the key to success, things I also practice in my life as well. She will always be someone I look up to.
Teacher with the most impact: I'd say the teacher that has had the most impact on me is Mr. Labush who teaches both English and AP Psychology. His advice and sincerity has meant a lot to me and reminds me of what's truly important. He has reminded me to not take things so seriously and to focus on the good. Through his English class, I discovered my love for analysis and interpretation. As for the Psychology course, I have discovered many things about not only myself but about the world around me.
What do you like most about Shore Regional? There's a feeling of community that can be found at Shore. Although we students are always caught up in something, we are still a student body united in our efforts.
Activities: I am in both Shore Players and S.A.W.
Future Goals/Plans: If you asked me this about a month ago, my answer would've been very different from what I would say now. I've learnt to not stress too much about something that's so far ahead. I'm a worrier. And as a worrier, I like to take everything one day at a time. It's all about staying in the moment and doing whatever feels good right there and then.
Personal Quote: "Be the change you wish to see."
Thoughts from her teachers...
- Nina is probably the kindest student I have ever had. She is always upbeat and has something positive to say about everything. She is intellectually curious about the world around her and insprires anyone in her presence. -- Mrs. Sher (Spanish)
- Nina is one of the most eloquent speakers I've had the pleasure of teaching. Her ability to dive into a topic for a deeper understanding proves her to be a true scholar. -- Ms. Novak (History)
- Nina Areyan is a true inquirer! Nina brings to each and every class and learning possibility her unique blend of curiosity, intelligence, active listening, contribution, and openness to discovery. This occurs every class meeting, whether throughout our AP English Summer Institute - online and in person meetings - and throughout the school calendar months. Nina offers her own discovery and is sincerely engaged in that of each member of our group. Nina never fails to offer global, inquiring, judicious, and attentive self to the day's discoveries in AP English Language, and I am certain that this is so in all of her classes and coursework. --Mrs. Bahrs (English)
- Nina's unique perspective, intelligence, and intrinsic curiosity and motivation have made class much more meaningful and enjoyable. She also likes some good music. --Mr. Labush (Psychology)
Name: Jack Donohoe
Role Model: George S Patton, a General of the 3rd Army during WWII. He was a leader who I believe greatly helped in winning the war. His strong willed mentality and sheer speaking power earned him the respect from all his men. I continue to look up to him and his methods to help me to both be a follower and a leader, just like he was.
Teacher with the most impact: At Shore every teacher has had such an impact on me in so many ways it’s hard to narrow it down to just one. I have had Ms. Novak for now 2 years for Honors US I and IB History of the Americas. Ms. Novak has made an impact on my life by helping me keep an open mind and further reinforce my love for history. Every day I always look forward to going to her interesting and amazing class. Mr. Nicol, who I had last year for Geometry, taught me to never give up no matter how hard a topic might be. He has also helped me learn not to worry about what other people think or say about me. This is a skill I will always cherish and I have thank to Mr. Nicol. Mrs. Miano my Algebra I and II teacher has helped me be more confident in the class I struggle the most in; she has taught me that even the hardest of subjects can be broken down to more simpler things. Mr. Attillo has been teaching me Band for 3 years now. His classroom is a stress free environment where I can always go no matter what. He has always been there to give me advice and lead me through the tough times. Before I came to Shore I had no interest in English at all. I met Mrs. Ross in my Freshman Year and gained a love for literature because of her hands on activities and fun demeanor. Finally, Mrs. Encarnacion, my English II teacher, taught me to try new things and branch out. Without her I wouldn't have read my now two favorite books The Catcher In the Rye and The Great Gatsby. Some may ask why I have picked six teachers, but I feel like each one has been able to praise my strengths and teach me to change my weaknesses into new strengths. I owe so much to these amazing people who have helped make me who I am today.
What do you like most about Shore Regional? Shore has helped shape who I am. I appreciate the flexibility from the teachers and staff and how they are willing to help you in any way no matter what. If there is a program at Shore that you would like to see happen, the staff at Shore will make it happen. The environment that the staff at Shore has created is one where anybody can have a good time and learn a thing or two.
Activities: I am involved with swimming through Shore Regional and Monmouth Barracuda, which has lead me to lifeguarding at Seven Presidents Beach. I am also involved in Air Force JROTC, Boy Scouts, the Principal’s advisory club, and the fire cadet program at the Oceanport Hook and Ladder. I also help teach CCD for Saint Michael's church.
Future Goals/Plans: Hopefully ether in the military or pursuing a career in law enforcement.
Personal Quote: "It’s not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." -DK
Thoughts from his teachers...
- Jack shows up every day ready to learn and grow in class. He is passionate in his opinions, but also committed to understanding the larger picture and developing an open mind. When it comes to history, he's a natural. -- Ms. Novak (History)
- Jack has been a positive role model for the newer members of the Concert Band and consistently has a positive outlook inside and outside of the classroom. -- Mr. Attilio (Music)
- Jack always tries his best with everything he does in class. He is always polite and respectful and he demonstrates integrity and respect in his dealings with fellow classmates and teacher. He demonstrates a strong willingness to succeed and always hands in assignments on time no matter how busy he is with his other responsibilities. He is disciplined with his actions and he gives his tasks 100% of his attention when he completes them. He also shows tremendous respect to himself and to others. He listens to others when they talk to him and he knows how to help others well.-- Mr. Kulka (Chemistry)