What is Bullying?
Under New Jersey law, “harassment, intimidation, or bullying” means any gesture, any written, verbal or physical act or any electronic communication, whether it is a single incident or a series of incidents, that is:
- Reasonably perceived as being motivated by either any actual or perceived characteristic, such as race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or a mental, physical or sensory disability, or
- By any other distinguishing characteristic; and that
- Takes place on school property, at any school-sponsored function, on a school bus, or off school grounds, as provided for in N.J.S.A. 18A:37-15.3, that substantially disrupts or interferes with the orderly operation of the school or the rights of other pupils; and that...
- A reasonable person should know under the circumstances will have the effect of physically or emotionally harming a pupil or damaging the pupil’s property, or placing a pupil in reasonable fear of physical or emotional harm to his/her person or damage his/her property; or
- Has the effect of insulting or demeaning any pupil or group of pupils; or
- Creates a hostile educational environment for the pupil by interfering with the pupil’s education or by severely or pervasively, causing physical or emotional harm to the pupil.
SRHSD requires that any target of harassment, intimidation and/or bullying use the HIB Reporting Form to place a formal report with the district. Students who have been the target of harassment, intimidation and/or bullying should immediately report all incidents to any district employee. Additionally, a HIB Reporting Form should be completed by any parent/guardian, employee, or educational community member, whom has identified an incident of harassment, intimidation, and/or bullying. Please submit HIB Reporting Forms (found in the Attendance Office or SAC Office) to any of the district’s schools or offices. Once a report of harassment, intimidation, and/or bullying has been received, SRHSD will launch a full investigation into the matter.